David has practised for over 25 years in the areas of public law and administrative law, appellate litigation and international trade law. After being a partner with two national law firms, David joined the litigation boutique now known as Conway Litigation.
David’s appellate practice has included numerous appeals before the Federal Court of Appeal, Ontario Court of Appeal, Quebec Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada. He has argued trade and public law cases before the Federal Court and courts and tribunals in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and the Northwest Territories.
David represents clients on a broad range of complex WTO, NAFTA and AIT issues and disputes, and advises on international market access, investment and trade negotiation issues.
David acts for clients before a number of federal regulatory tribunals including the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, the Competition Tribunal, the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal, the Canadian Transportation Agency, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, the National Energy Board, and the Farm Products Council of Canada.Read More
- Supreme Court of Canada constitutional (division of powers and Charter) and administrative law cases.
- Federal Court of Appeal, Federal Court, Ontario Court of Appeal, Ontario Divisional Court and other provincial courts in various public law cases, constitutional and administrative law cases, federal environmental assessment, access to information and privacy and federal-provincial disputes.
- International (WTO and GATT) trade disputes, customs matters, NAFTA Chapters 11, 18, 19 and 20 disputes and domestic Agreement on Internal Trade disputes.
- Safeguard, anti-dumping, countervailing duty and tariff classification proceedings before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, related appeals to the Federal Court of Appeal and government procurement cases.
- Counsel in the leading Investment Canada Act enforcement proceeding.
- Access to Information and Privacy, including advisory and litigation work for the Information Commissioner of Canada.
- Human rights proceedings before the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.
- Specialised federal law areas including negotiation of federal-provincial agreements, drug pricing, regulatory drafting, food labelling and standards, misleading advertising, regulated conduct defence, transportation security, pesticide regulation, regulation of toxic chemicals.
David has coached the national champion Gale Cup Moot team at University of Ottawa and has taught courses in administrative and public law. He is an avid cross country skier and cyclist, and is currently working with a large, volunteer-run ski club to develop a ski center north of Ottawa. David plays golf a few times a year, and it shows.
LL.B. 1985 – University of British Columbia
B.A. (Hons) 1980 – Queen’s University
1985 – Ontario
The Advocates’ Society
County of Carleton Law Association
Law Society of Ontario
Ontario Bar Association